Sunday, April 4, 2010

Crafting Spring

With all the hustle and bustle of Spring it's hard to devote focus to a full painting, so I find myself drawing or enjoying crafts more often. Here I'll share a few of the projects about to come out of the studio. First is a small decorative wood plaque. I've woodburned a sun moon design on this natural colored oval, then coated it with durable varathane varnish. I still haven't decided whether to put a saw tooth hanger on the back so it can be hung on the wall or felted bumpers so that it can be used like a altar tile trivet.
 

Next projects I've finished are two pencil boxes. Both are a mix of collage, paint and drawing. I had a lot of fun putting these together and am looking forward to getting them together as "kits". Alice in Wonderland uses copies of the original illustrations by John Tennial with hand painted touches over the paper, and various other Victorian style images. Black and white images yet colorful overall. I'm thinking about making some mushroom shaped pages of paper to include and posting it to Etsy as a creative writing or poets kit.


The second pencil box was inspired by the concept of the "writer's block". It features an image of Oscar Wilde decked out in decadent Victorian finery, a ghostly faint image of Edgar Allen Poe, and a William Blake character stressing out below. Throughout the block of the box are actual words and phrases from a book about how to write and cheeky illustrations having to due with inspiration; such as a man with a light bulb over his head. When listed on Etsy, this Writer's Block Box will include special papers and some additional items that might spark up the imagination of a writer to get that block busted.


All of these items are one of a kind, though the celestial design does match a spirit talking board I've yet to finish. They'll soon be available in my Etsy Curio Castle Shoppe. Hope you enjoyed previewing them!
 


*Original art images ©Tree Pruitt, unless otherwise indicated. Contact the artist prior to ANY use or for purchase information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and questions. Please be respectful to others when commenting and remember that your remarks will be made public. Moderation is on to avoid SPAM links, so your remarks may not show right away, but I will review comments as soon as possible after notification email hits my inbox. THANKS for sharing! -- Tree