Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Harbor Path Painting


Harbor Path
Originally uploaded by Artist-Tree


2008 Fresh off of my easel...
16" x 20" x 1-3/8" acrylic paint on gallery wrapped canvas -- painted on the edges.
Painted from memory is this stormy landscape meeting the water. It portrays a walk along Grays Harbor, literally behind Hoquiam, Washington. A compacted version of wild Rennie Island rests in the background. The path leads towards the Hoquiam estuary where an annual bird migration offers the Grays Harbor Shorebird Festival. Also very near is Bowerman Airport. Bowerman Field is coastal Washington's only jet-capable airport. Bowerman is a destination for thousands of air travelers and visitors alike.

I began the painting with a thick blank canvas. Eager to get my brushes moving, and with only a strong mental image in mind of my former home, I sketched a scene out with an orange Conte pastel. Then dipping a brush into Transparent White and Neutral Grey (Value 5) paints I workeded the pastel in with the acrylics to fade and bind the drawing to the canvas. Some of the original orange color can be seen in the background horizon, and it adds a touch of warmth all over. I challenged myself to use new colors and move quickly to stay with the mental picture of a place I once knew so well.
Here's a list of those colors used ...
  • Orange Conte Pastel
  • Transparent White
  • Titanium White
  • Neutral Grey
  • Unbleached Titanium
  • Transparent Raw Umber
  • Parchment
  • Raw Sienna
  • Prussian Blue
  • Mars Black
Below are side views of the painting in natural light.




Copyright 2008, Tree Pruitt, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and questions. Please be respectful to others when commenting and remember that your remarks will be made public. Moderation is on to avoid SPAM links, so your remarks may not show right away, but I will review comments as soon as possible after notification email hits my inbox. THANKS for sharing! -- Tree