Monday, February 16, 2009

Acrylic Portrait of Ivy Blue in Progress


For some time I had to set the canvas painting aside and was only able to work with smaller or assemblage pieces. However, times have changed and I'm hungry to get my brushes back to some good dirty work! I really enjoyed working on the recent painting, "Wild Scarlet Macaw", so feel warmed up to return to some loved unfinished canvas paintings.

I was given the opportunity to work with images of a daring model known as Ivy Blue (her website). I'd begun two 16" x 20" paintings on canvas of Ivy; one in oil and the later of the two in acrylic paints. I'm sad to say that the oil painting is going to need to rest in storage for a while longer until I get moved into my new studio space. The acrylic version however is currently on my easel.

This piece excites me. I feel this painting is a good representation of my preference in style of brush work. The strokes are as bold and energetic as the subject herself exhibits in true life. My hope is that the complexity of each individual part will come together to create an image of both interest and beauty. I believe that only a few touches are needed to finish the piece, such as a strand of hair near the mouth area and the mouth itself. One can never really be certain what will happen when brush gets to hand, but can only have plans open to inspiration. I'm pleased, and a bit nervous, to share the completion of this painting.

Included is a quick photograph of the painting as it sits in the current stage. When I finish painting for the evening I'll take another photo so the progression can be seen. Please return again to see the final results of this painting and the next stage of the sculpture, "Nature Goddess", (see previous posts).


*Ivy Blue: Model, Actress, Go-Go Dancer


*Original art images ©Tree Pruitt, unless otherwise indicated. Contact the artist prior to ANY use or for purchase information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I welcome comments and questions. Please be respectful to others when commenting and remember that your remarks will be made public. Moderation is on to avoid SPAM links, so your remarks may not show right away, but I will review comments as soon as possible after notification email hits my inbox. THANKS for sharing! -- Tree